It’s finally here; the time to start planning summer adventures! The school year is winding down, and summer activities are starting to fill the calendar. In between the swim lessons, softball games, and sports camps, I hope to have many scheduled and impromptu adventures with my family.
Each spring, the girls and I create a list of places we want to explore before school starts again. We use this list as a guide all summer when we are in the mood for an adventure. This year, I grabbed an Iowa Travel Guide (get one here) and let the girls flip through the pages for inspiration. While our list is still a work in progress, some of the highlights include: Prairie Heritage Center in O’Brien County, The Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlor in Le Mars, strawberry picking at Getting’s Garden near Sanborn, and the Swinging Bridge by Columbus Junction. While we may not get to all of these places, making this list has created excitement for the warmer days ahead.
Although we may need to drive a distance to get to some of those destinations, I know much fun will be had exploring our little corner of Iowa as well. Adventure can be found in every nook and cranny of this beautiful state. If you live my neck of the woods or plan to visit the shores of Storm Lake, Storm Lake United has complied a list of activities for you:
25 Things to Explore in Storm Lake During 2018
1. Take a tour on the Buena Vista county drive trail.
2. Go on a shopping spree at our unique retailers.
3. Go back in time and discover our heritage by visiting the Harker House or the BV county Historical Society.
4. Dine at one of Storm Lake’s fine restaurants.
5. Admire local and regional artists at the Witter Gallery and Synergy Live Edge.
6. Run the Annual 5K.
7. Head to King’s Pointe Waterpark for a fun day in the sun with high-speed slides, water playgrounds and a relaxing lazy river or swim inside at the indoor waterpark when the weather turns cold.
8. Enjoy LakeFest 2018 by jamming to you favorite artist, running the Faith, Hope and Charity Marina to Marina Run or by checking out the Kiwanis Annual Car Show.
9. Visit the Little Lake Discovery Center Boardwalk and climb to the top of the observation tower for a scenic view of Storm Lake.
10. Rent a boat, aqua bike, kayak, or paddle board and enjoy the 3,200 acre lake Storm Lake.
11. Go golfing at one of the many golf courses of Buena Vista County including Sunrise Pointe Golf Course, Lake Creek Country Club, Alta Golf and Country Club, Newell Municipal Golf Course and Little Sioux Golf and Country Club.
12. Enjoy a meal during a Taste of Storm Lake in Chautauqua Park and support local nonprofits.
13. Listen to a free concert by the Storm Lake Municipal Band at the Sunset Bandshell on a Sunday afternoon during the summer.
14. Soak up some sun and build sandcastles at one of Storm Lake’s many beaches.
15. Go fishing in Iowa’s best Walleye lake during the Free Fishing weekend at the beginning of June.
16. Celebrate the Fourth of July weekend by joining us at the Star Spangled Spectacular in Chautauqua & Sunset Parks.
17. Visit the Farmer’s Market and buy some fresh produce from area growers.
18. Rent a bike and pedal on the Bike and Hike Trail.
19. Go camping at one of Storm Lake’s campgrounds or rent a cabin located by the lake.
20. Come to Wood, Wines and Blues to sample wine, watch professional chainsaw carvers and purchase great craft items.
21. Cheer on the Buena Vista University Beavers at a home game.
22. Explore the wildlife display at the Buena Vista University Science Center.
23. Locate all the wooden chainsaw sculptures throughout the City Beautiful.
24. Grab a putter and conquer 18 holes of miniature golf at Pirates Pointe.
25. Visit Santa’s Castle during the holiday season and get an autographed book from Santa Claus.
Embrace 2018 in Storm Lake and enjoy the City Beautiful!
Check out that list! If you don’t see anything that interests you, perhaps you’d enjoy a competitive game of Disc Golf at Manderville Park, a leisurely stroll around the Living Heritage Tree Museum, a night under the lights at a Storm Lake Whitecaps baseball game, the amusement rides or livestock shows at the Buena Vista County Fair, a blast from the past at the Cole Museum, the thrill of a car chase at the Buena Vista Raceway, a picnic at one of our many lake-side parks, or the amazing talent at production by the Buena Vista Community Theater. There truly is something for everyone to enjoy.
Who said there was nothing to do in rural Iowa?! An adventure is always right around the corner! It is about finding joy in the simple things, not being afraid to get a little dirty, and using your imagination to create your own fun. So, get out a paper and pencil and start your list. What adventures will you find this summer?